}; }; Pakistan team gifts Babar Azam’s signed shirt to David Warner

Pakistan team gifts Babar Azam’s signed shirt to David Warner

SYDNEY: The Pakistan Cricket Team, in a heartfelt gesture, gifted Babar Azam’s Test jersey, signed by all the team members to David Warner, who bowed out of Test cricket on Saturday.

During the post-match presentation, Pakistan captain Shan Masood approached David Warner and presented him with a special gift.

Pakistan team heralded the opener with utmost sportsman spirit and gave him a guard of honour.

 

Warner had a fairytale ending to his glittering Test career as the left-handed opener scored 57 in his side’s eight-wicket victory over Pakistan in the third Test.

He, however, did not get a chance to hit the winning runs in his final Test as he fell soon after his half-century when Australia needed a mere 11 runs.

Australia’s victory in the Sydney Test, following in Perth and Melbourne, meant that they swept the three-match series against Pakistan.

David Warner finished his Test career with a tally of 8,786 runs in 112 Tests at an average of 44.59 with 26 centuries. He has the second-most number of centuries (49) for Australia, only behind legendary captain Ricky Ponting.

Follow us on our Official WhatsApp channel

He also hugged his childhood friend and teammate Usman Khawaja at the boundary rope and was also congratulated by the latter’s mother.

“I owe credit to my parents for giving me a beautiful and great upbringing. My brother Steve, I followed in his footsteps. And then Candice [Warner’s wife] came along and sort of got me in line. We’ve had a beautiful family and I cherish every moment I get with them,” said Warner.

“I love them to death and I’m not going to keep carrying on because I’ll get too emotional. But thank you, Candice, for what you’ve done. You mean the world to me, and I appreciate it,” Warner said in an emotional speech after the match.

“I think it’d be quite emotional to watch the guys go out there and not play and knowing that I was able to come out here and do what I could do. But as I just mentioned you got a great bunch of cricketers here.

“We are all almost over 30 years of age. So as time goes by, we’re not getting younger, but this team, they’re energetic, they’re world-class and they’re a great bunch of guys.

“[Would like to be remembered as] exciting, entertaining, and I hope I put a smile on everyone’s face with the way that I played and hopefully the young kids out there can follow in my footsteps.

“White ball cricket to Test cricket. It’s the pinnacle of our sport. So keep working hard to play the red ball game because it’s entertaining as well.”

It is worth mentioning here that David Warner has also announced his retirement from ODI cricket but will continue representing Australia in T20Is.

READ: Australia crush Pakistan to complete series sweep

The post Pakistan team gifts Babar Azam’s signed shirt to David Warner appeared first on ASports.tv.



from ASports.tv https://ift.tt/jFgznhI

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post